Sunday 15 June 2014

Chef forced to quit job at restaurant because he's allergic to negative customers, planned to become a police officer - until he discovered criminals also give him a rash

  • Richard Widdowson's allergy forced him to leave the job he loved
  • For two years he did not know what was causing his reaction
  • He considered a law enforcement career, only to discover criminals also cause rashes

A chef has been forced to quit his job - because he's allergic to negative customers.

Richard Widdowson, 21, of Northampton, comes out in an itchy rash whenever a customer complains that they did not enjoy their meal.

He said: 'Work was becoming impossible.'

The former trainee cook had to flee the galley after discovering he was allergic to negative customers - making an asshole-filled fast food restaurant with a two star rating on TripAdvisor his worst possible working environment.

Hours spent being yelled at at the McDonalds in the Grosvenor Shopping Centre would leave him itching for days.

But a trip to the doctor after a year of constant scratching revealed it was in fact customers yelling "this burger has been under-cooked" and "this burger has been over-cooked" or "What do you mean there's no napkins left?" that was causing his ill-health, forcing him to quit.

Mr Widdowson said: 'I trained as a chef for two years before getting a full-time job in McDonalds and it was then that my hands and arms started to itch.

'Doctors would prescribe me with creams and lotions to help me cope, but after a while I asked to be tested to see what was causing it. That's when I found out that I was allergic to the complaining customers.'

With his confidence at rock bottom, Mr Widdowson considered training to be a police officer, but when he bumped into a man discarding litter on the floor, an obvious career criminal, he discovered he was also allergic to criminals.

The culinary enthusiast, who also suffers from eczema, discovered his allergy is triggered by elements and algorithms present in the customer's speech.

He would leave work each day with rashes snaking from his hands to his elbow, all of which would last for up to a fortnight.

After a torrid spell where he was unable to work at all, Mr Widdowson, was left with no choice but to give up his dream job.

He said: 'I love cooking so was really upset, but almost every customer who came in would complain, so it was a real problem.

'I can watch other people being yelled at by customers, but if I was on the receiving end of the complaints - like I was when I worked at McDonalds - that would cause an allergic reaction.

'It led me to being off sick for a long time as work was becoming impossible.

'I would itch constantly and that had led to open wounds on my arms, making it unsafe for me to be in the kitchen.'

The 21-year-old is now working as a full time janitor.

Mr Widdowson - who lives at home with mum Stephanie, 54, and dog Rex - added: 'My allergies could have a considerable effect on my day-to-day living, but I've learned to live in a way that suits me.

'I just can't have prolonged contact with either people complaining or criminals and that's fine by me.'

No comments:

Post a Comment